Eight of Croydon’s finest barbershops will soon be offering free on the spot blood pressure tests to their clients in an attempt to raise awareness and potentially give life-saving advice.
This scheme started in April and is a UK first being run by London South Bank University (LSBU), Croydon BME Forum, and Off the Record.
The groups provide eight barbers who have customers in Croydon with the training they need to diagnose. Among them are Lambeth, Southwark, and Bromley to deliver the blood pressure checks at their premises, an effective way to detect for issues. About 30% of men in the UK are believed to have high blood pressure and problems relating to it.
The project is inspired by a successful health venture in Los Angeles barbershops, which resulted in 68% of those diagnosed with high blood pressure in said barbershops leaving the study with more healthy blood pressure levels.
The eight barbershops participating are:
- Da Ace Of Fades (Thornton Heath)
- The Barber Shop (Croydon)
- Finishing Touches (Mitcham)
- Yian the Barber (South Norwood)
- Cutter Hair Doctor (South Norwood)
- J & D Doyleys (Thornton Heath)
- House of Bertrand (Bromley)
- Juls The Hair Klinik (Mitcham)